Wednesday 8 April 2015

Oh GOD!


Hear My Voice It was half past four in the morning. I had completed some sessions of recordings of my online lectures. I wanted to do some more sessions. Just when I begun again I heard a loud sound from a place nearby. I immediately understood that someone in my neighborhood had called the ‘Jagran’ team and they are doing their job of finishing their morning rituals. ‘Jagran’ is a common ritual in our part of India, where a family decides to have a sleepless night and they very often call an orchestra party to sing devotional songs. The only problem is that, not only they decide to have a sleepless night, they also force all nearby residents to have a sleepless night, by singing the devotional songs with a full blown volume on a loudspeaker. Anyway, after some time the singing stopped. I took a sigh of relief and started to record again. 

By the time it was already five in the morning. My lecture recording was further interrupted by another loud call, this time from a nearby mosque. By the time, this devotional onslaught stopped, it was already dawn, so I postponed my plans for the next night. As I always do, I surfed the Internet, regarding rules related to use of loudspeakers at the night time. I found the clear set of rules, legal bindings etc. But who cares? If I am making a direct call to my GOD, I can do whatever I want. I can defend myself by saying that I have full freedom to practice my faith, the way I have been always doing. Many times it becomes a sensitive matter, as it is connected to faith of various groups. It is the perception of feeding this faith that brings me vote in election times. It is this faith that becomes larger than my basic needs. I as an individual feel helpless to change or challenge this faith. I at least find this forum to express myself; you may be having many such conflicts buried inside your heart. Friends! Let us share views.

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment