Saturday 7 June 2014

When We Think Positive


Mata Amritanandamayi is one of the greatest saints of India, who is doing laudable work for the society along with her spiritual pursuits. Her presence is now felt in every part of the world. Going by her background, it can be said that her service to society is a result of divine grace. No wonder she is considered to be an incarnation of God. Her affectionate embrace is like a blessing for all those who get to meet her. While the devotees wait for their turn for hours, Ma also never seems to get tired of displaying her affection with equal intensity from the beginning to the end. In March 2006, Amma visited Lucknow. A large public function was organised for her in an open space. At that time, I was the commissioner of Lucknow and in that capacity, got the privilege of being of some help in this function. It was the first time that I came in contact with Amma and her entourage.

The programme was conducted very gracefully and Ma endeared herself to her audience in Lucknow just like everywhere else. I wished that Amma could visit my home in Lucknow for a few minutes. When I expressed this wish, I was assured that Amma would try her best to do so and soon it was confirmed that Amma would visit my house in the early hours after meeting her devotees. My family remained anxious throughout the night but Amma visited our home as per her assurance and spent about half an hour with us. This was a memorable day of our lives and we all felt blessed in the true sense. The members of the entourage also invited me to Amma’s ashram in Kerala. Eventually, a message came from her and I, along with my local friends, was called to her living room and given an audience for almost 30 minutes, a privilege rarely available to anyone. For me, it was an indication of Amma’s grace and the power of my positive thinking that helped me meet her. 

Amma’s main ashram is in the Kollam district of Kerala and she is available there only for a part of the year and that too, at different times. While I wished to visit her there, looking at the low probability of my being in Kerala during her presence in the ashram, I never committed myself to it. But perhaps, Amma was more graceful to me than I could think of. In April 2009, I visited Kerala during my journey to Lakshadweep, the destination of my LTC (Leave Travel Concession). I was to stay in Lakshadweep for three days, but it was cut short by one day because of the change in the airline schedule. As a result, I got one extra day at Cochin. As I was heading towards the town from the Airport on 25th April, I got a call from Lucknow and Amma’s reference was made. Immediately, I noticed a hoarding for Amma’s programme. This created a desire in me to pay her a visit, if possible. 

Soon, I contacted some of my local friends who told me that Amma was in her ashram but having come there after a long time, it was very difficult to meet her. But, my urge was deep and I decided to visit the ashram even if meeting Amma was not possible. Deep within my heart, I was positive and hopeful. As we reached the ashram, we were received very warmly by the devotees who also tried to arrange my meeting with Amma against all hopes. 

Rakesh Mittal IAS

No comments:

Post a Comment