Tuesday 5 August 2014

Teacher’s Preparation


Few days back, I happen to attend a reunion of my school alumni. I met many old friends and old teachers. As usual, there was an introduction session of everyone present. The introduction session of my old Hindi teacher was quite unusual for me. He remembered my name and declared in front of a large audience that due to this particular student in my class, I used to do special preparations before coming to the class. After hearing this I was a little embarrassed. He further clarified, that I used to ask so many questions that time that He always felt it challenging to answer all of them. In a way this was one of the great compliments I was getting from an old teacher of mine. But, I can also tell you definitely, that after hearing this, my regard for my Hindi teacher also grew a lot. Great teachers, always prepare well.

Today while taking classes, I feel the same about some pupil of mine. I do extra preparations before every class, to find out what could be possible questions of learners listening to me.

Recently, I met one renowned motivational trainer at his residence in Mumbai. He gave me a “Guru Mantra”. He said that if he has to deliver a one hour lecture on a topic he has been delivering since long, he prepares for at least eight hours. If the topic is new, this preparation time would be at least sixteen to twenty times the duration of delivery. I was truly impressed. He further said that he doesn’t want his learners to know about this preparation time, but the definite success formula for a teacher is certainly his preparations. He explained to me that every learner wants his teacher to be an embodiment of “Google” search. In fact the real life requirements go way beyond the goggle search, as a learner needs only the intelligently filtered relevant links with easily understandable results. Knowledge is vast, so keep preparing and keep sharing.

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment