Tuesday 14 October 2014

Nobel Prize Anxiety


This year on 10th October 2014, it was in the mid afternoon that all TV channels started flashing the news of Nobel Peace prize to our own Kailash Satyarthi and our neighbour Malala Yousafzai. People started searching the Facebook if Shri Kailash Satyarthi has a page, where people can start liking or leave comments. Within next five minutes a Facebook page with the name of Kailash Satyarthi – A public figure appeared. People started liking and following it. I was myself the 10th follower of the page and I left a comment that the page liking will skyrocket soon. True to my prediction the page liking reached fifteen thousand, within a span of three days. I myself referred this page to my friends and took pride in telling them that I was one of the first ten persons to congratulate Satyarthi Ji on Facebook. Messages on the page looked like the original ones being given by Satyarthi Ji himself. Now the page creator themselves declared that it is not an official page and they are talking to the Nobel Laureate to take over its charge.

This episode made me think about how an exciting event or circumstance can make us believe anything. This is the kind of anxiety dependent belief we see everywhere. These days’ media is reporting ‘U’ turns of many incidences that shook the nation in past few months. We all get swayed away by the way the information is presented in front of us. The habit of our brain is often used by street magicians to make us believe in their tricks. Research says that our brain has wonderful capability of filling up incomplete information. Pessimists will say that, one should have enough maturity to control their thoughts and no to get swayed away so easily. I personally consider the ability of our brain to complete the jigsaw puzzle of random information, to be of positive importance. Even though I watched an unofficial Facebook page, I did learn his ideologies and I did become thoughtful about the cause of children raised by him. So friends! Let us keep enjoying the randomness and entropy of this virtual world.

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment