Wednesday 12 August 2015

Iron Box – Rubber Carpet


When I sit with myself in my leisure time, I keep remembering many things and my brain introduces lot of philosophy to such things. Here I would like to share with you a story, which relates to philosophy of comparison. Those days I used to work for an IT company. In addition to handling my development team, I also had the role of organising a lecture series, where eminent personalities in their field were invited to give lectures on a weekly basis. Getting such personalities was quite a bit of task, just on reference basis. 

Very often my boss who also happens to be the owner of the company used to give me his personal references. One such reference was of an eminent personality who was an old colleague of my boss. When I called this personality, he enquired about well wishes of my boss and asked me which car my boss rides now. I was surprised and amused with this kind of question. I handed over the phone to my boss to talk to him further. What I could understand from their talks was that he was obviously quite close friend of my boss. The answer of my boss to him was even more amusing. He answered, “The iron box with a rubber carpet I ride is just a little bigger than your Iron box, and everything else is same. Even the seating capacity is same. So how does it matter?” Somewhere on “Indian Thoughts” I read that most human problems in this world are either because of jealousy or because of ego. A larger car versus a smaller car is often seen as a point of jealousy amongst many individuals. An expression like “Iron Box with a Rubber Carpet” for a car in the above episode downplays that comparison. Downplaying the reasons for jealousy is also done sometime with a lot of ego. Sometimes it is done with a clean heart. The message of state of the heart does pass on. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg 

No comments:

Post a Comment