Wednesday 15 June 2016

Tool Called Spirituality

GZ 135 150616 Tool Called Spirituality

This understanding just came when I was co-working with a yoga teacher to create an online course on his request. Actually my yoga friend is too religious and some time he pushes so much religious thoughts into his yoga practice that whether the course we are designing will appeal to international audience or not, becomes my concern. One such discussion day he mentioned to me about the choices he had after retirement. He could have either become a spiritual person or could have taken some work assignments in his field. By the way he is a retired engineer from IIT. He told that he opted for spiritual field and started working for yoga. He also established a full-fledged religious ashram with inspiration from his long time religious Guru. Suddenly a sentence came out of my lips, “But I thought spirituality is just a tool to help us do our work better, the way computer is a tool to do my work little more efficiently”. To my surprise, he immediately agreed. My perception of spirituality is to have strong belief in doing welfare of spirits all around us. These spirits could be people, animals, plants or even the so called non-living world. A carpenter shaping a wood piece is spirituality. I see it in a software programmer, a doctor, a lawyer, a politician, a teacher, a farmer on their regular assignments. I smell it in flowers, I taste it in food, I watch it in the rising or setting sun, I sense it on anything I touch, I can hear it all around me. I know it is there even in those things, which I can’t sense. Spirituality is definitely there in the places where I go with my demands, my places of worship. It is as much there where I leave all my demands, the funeral places. Do I need to learn it to practice it? Probably yes, the way any other tool is required to be learnt to use it correctly, spirituality do require some training. The teacher is our intention to do things upright for the welfare of spirits and not for the destruction of other things around thinking that we will win, if others loose. You are intelligent enough to find examples of situations where spiritual winning is possible, without others spirits being on the losing side. Let us learn this tool together. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment