Thursday 2 March 2017

MYSTICISM



The word mysticism has many meanings. For our purpose it is defined as the union between the individual and the Absolute. This broad definition will cover the understanding of mysticism in the East and the West. The Absolute may be taken as God or the Cosmic Principle or the Universe. Mystical experiences are extra-ordinary spiritual experiences. They are beyond the realm of ordinary human and physical experiences that cannot be examined and established on the basis of certain strict criteria. They are purely objects of faith. From the life of mystics we can talk about certain characteristics. They are simple and humble. They are immersed in God experience. Mysticism involves a deep yearning of the individual for God. It pre-supposes morality and asceticism or sadhana (spiritual exercises). The three major components essential to mysticism are purification, enlightenment, and union in total and unconditional surrendering.
Purification:  Purification follows a careful examination of conscience. In this thorough examination of conscience, attention needs to be paid to the following questions: Am I at peace with myself and the world? There are all sorts of immoral, unethical, unjust, and unfair things happening around me and in the world. Am I doing all that I can to correct the situations? Do I have any ill feelings toward anyone even though others may have hostile feelings toward me? Do I spend time and energy to clarify misunderstandings when they arise? Do I take initiative in working through conflicts? Am I sincere and rigorous in my approach to people? Am I free of prejudices and discriminations of any kind? Am I sincere in my search for truth? Do I spare any effort in finding out the truth? Am I free of my own selfish interests? I have started this process of purification not because I am better or more accomplished, or more self-righteous than others. I have willfully accepted the invitation of God and the Universe to embark on this process. I have surrendered to this eternal energy flowing in me. One needs to be indifferent to pain and pleasure, good times and bad times. With a great love for humanity, one devotes oneself to humans in selfless love. One needs to be free from inordinate affections and attachments. One needs to have an even-mindedness.
Enlightenment:  One needs to have available information needed for conscience formation and holistic living. Enlightenment comes from examination of facts, arduous reflection, and meditation. Awareness of oneself, others, and the surroundings leads to greater insight and wisdom. Mysticism is the interface between one’s consciousness and God-(Cosmic) consciousness. It is heavenly bliss on earth; it is a preview, so to speak, of beatific vision, moksha or nirvana.
Union in Surrendering:  Union is to a Higher Power; surrendering is unconditional and total. The union is grace-filled. There is no human calculation, no bargaining. One has done everything one humanly could. It is a time of grace and deep Faith coming out of Hope and Love.
Mysticism is for all; it is not a prerogative of a few chosen ones. It happens when one chooses to do what can be done. It is adjusted to everyone’s unique circumstances and potential.

Swami Snehananda Jyoti 

No comments:

Post a Comment