Saturday 29 April 2017

Preaching the Bible


A chaplain on a battlefield came across a young man who was lying in a shell hole, seriously wounded. “Would you like me to read you something from this book, the Bible?” he asked. “I’m so thirsty; I’d rather have a drink of water,” the soldier said. Hurrying away, the chaplain soon brought the water. Then the wounded man said, “could you put something under my head?”
The chaplain took off his overcoat, rolled it up, and gently placed it under the man’s head for a pillow. “Now,” said the suffering man, “if I just had something over me – I’m cold”. 
The chaplain immediately removed his jacket and put it over the wounded man to keep him warm. Then the soldier looked the chaplain straight in the eye and said, “if there’s anything in that book that makes a man do for another all that you have done for me, then please read it, because I’d love to hear it.”
Comment: If my actions don’t speak of Gospel values, be sure my words never will. What affects people most is often caught rather than taught. “Actions are irrefutable.”

Indian Thoughts Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment