Friday 10 January 2014

Land for Grave


I have a young Muslim friend who is in his thirties. He is a very enthusiastic person and always carries a cheerful disposition. He is also a member of the Kabir Peace Mission and often visits me. One day when he came to me, he appeared even more cheerful. On being asked about the reason, he told me that he was happy because he had purchased the land for his grave on the previous day. This was something for which I was neither prepared nor had heard of before. I knew that Muslims bury the dead body in the earth but the fact that, for this, land has to be arranged in advance, was a surprise to me. Hearing the cause of his cheerfulness, I became curious and desired to know more about the deal. He told me that land in Lucknow was getting costlier day by day and the same was the case with graveyards also. He was happy because he could get the land at a reasonable rate and could pay the price easily. He further said that arranging land for the grave was an essential responsibility and he could get rid of it so early. Now onwards, he would be able to live peacefully. 

All this amazed me and I wondered at his preparedness for death at such an early age. Then I enquired about the measurement of the land he had purchased for his grave. He told me that the graveyard he had chosen was a prestigious one and only six feet by two and a half feet land is given to the buyer. In this way, he had purchased only fifteen square feet of land, as more than that was not available to anyone. He was quite satisfied with that also. His narration of these facts increased my respect for him. But more than that, it was the message he gave to all living persons which is important. 

Who does not know the fact that life is a journey from the womb to the tomb? But how many of us take it that way? Most of us spend our lives in accumulating wealth and other material possessions. Quite often, these possessions are acquired at the cost of others. While excessive possessions are a potential cause of sorrow for the possessor, this tendency also deprives many others of their essential needs. In this way, the resources of the nation are wasted. The fact that at the end of this journey only six feet by two and half feet land will be available to us should be reason enough for us to live gracefully, as well as to let others live gracefully. My young friend demonstrated this point so simply and easily by purchasing the land for his grave. 

Rakesh Mittal I A S

No comments:

Post a Comment