Tuesday 13 January 2015

A point of no return


He is a person, I do not want to meet. I do not know why he comes to my house now and then. He presses the call bell. I open the door and always give him some excuse for not being able to talk to him at that moment. I only ask him in general if everything is ok and then I always want him to leave as soon as possible. He wants more time to talk to me, but I always turn down his request. In a very short time, at the gate itself he tells me his story like what he is doing at the village. How he helped his cousin to get a job in the city. How his wife lost the first child at the birth. I am not much interested in knowing anything from him.

By this time, readers must be thinking, why they are reading a narration being given by a rude person like me. Just read few more sentences and you will hopefully understand the reasons. This person worked in my organisation a few years back. He was a young boy of twenty years straight from the village. He came to me through some reference. Within few days I understood about his erratic personality. He was a drug addict and was never interested in work. He was probably sent to city along with his relative, so that he may become responsible. Somehow, in those days I decided to transform him. I thought that goodness will overcome evils inside him. I counseled him a lot. Sometimes his relative used to throw him out of his house. I used to give him shelter and food. He started showing signs of change. I started giving him lots of creative assignments. Some of them he did with interest also. Even after all this, random ups and down in his behavior continued. None of the other staff in the office was able to work along with him. And then came the D-day. It was that dark day when I lost my mother due to illness. Whole office people, family people were at my residence. He came, but vanished without telling me anything. I do not know what happened to him and was busy in other rituals. He came back after many days. He started telling me many strange stories. He even told me that he had earlier murdered two people and his friends were behind him to take the revenge.

This all was quite disturbing for me. Before I could report to the police, his relative in the city came to me and took him back. His relative clarified that out of drug addiction he keeps telling such untrue and nonsense stories. I was really frightened. I had no choice but to keep an alternate staff in his place. Till that point I used to believe that everyone can be changed. My friends keep telling me that for some people there is a point of no return. I am still confused, which philosophy to believe? Is there a point of no return?

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment