Thursday 8 January 2015

Your New Year, My New Year


This New Year I got an email message from a friend with a message in Hindi which translates to, “How can I greet you now, when our own New Year starts in March after Holi. How can I greet you now when people are celebrating this time in the western way? My New Year greeting will come to you when our season begins in the Hindi month of Chaitra”.

With this kind of message, I was forced to think, that even New Year could become an agenda to polarize people on the basis of their religious thoughts and roots. Even New Year could be “Your New Year and My New Year”. Today we find reasons to curse anything and everything around us. Everyday a new breed of “Culture Contractors” is taking birth. If we really claim that we have most fertile mind on this earth, then why can’t this so called right wing fundamentalists open research labs to create things that can benefit the society. The kind of money and effort people are putting in spreading pseudo-religious faiths can be used fairly to develop vaccines for diseases, seeds for better crops, pollution free fuels and many other things like that. An expression of “Your New Year versus My New Year”, feels like “Your Terror versus My Terror”. My way of answering my friends email was writing this article. Will you find your way to answer such things?

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment