Tuesday 17 March 2015

Childhood Dreams


Those days, He was in his early teens. He used to play cricket in an open space in front of his house. Many other children of the colony also used to play there. He was considered to be a poor cricketer. Whenever he tried bowling, it was difficult for him to pitch the ball anywhere in the line of the stumps. Most of the times his over was limited to three balls in the name of a local cricket rule, called ‘Baby Over’. For batting he was definitely a tail-ender. Total run he scored in his lifetime was less than a good batsman average batting score. But, one thing was still amazing, whenever he used to ball, he always thought, that one day he will make it to the Indian squad as a bowler. He felt that, his style of bowling was like Bhagvat Chandrasekhar, the famous leg spinner in those days. His dream used to repeat in a different way whenever his chance of batting used to come. He also dreamt of playing “late-cuts” like Gundappa Viswanath, a legendary Batsman of Indian squad in seventies. These are the ways I feel every child used to dream. 

A dream of becoming a big shot at whatever he tries. By this time, readers must have understood that I am talking of my own childhood days. As we grow old, the rawness in our dreams starts diminishing. The power of weighing pros and cons in everything takes over. Other than dreaming of becoming the best cricketer, I also used to dream many other things. I wanted to become the best painter in India. I wanted to become a sitar maestro. My most realistic dream was to get my name on school honours board. As per my academic performance those days, it was a little difficult. Five exceptionally brilliant students were ahead of me. In next four years, things slowly changed in my favour and I could make it. This gave me a belief that it is possible to get to some of your dreams, only if you see it in the first place and then work hard towards your goal. This learning helped me all along my career to reach a few milestones. I wish, I can maintain the same rawness of childhood dreams even now. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment