Tuesday 31 March 2015

Personal Comments


Many times, it happens, that some current affairs news in the media relate to incidences in your own life. I had the opportunity to attend the executive body meeting of a local forum. It was a dull meeting, as nothing much had happened in past many months. I had raised the issues, related to visibility of actions being taken by the committee. One of the gentleman, questioned me regarding my presence in past meetings. He probably didn’t knew that, I was informed at the last minute and I could not attend only one of the past meetings for being not present in the town. I understood the intentions of defaming me, just because I had raised few genuine questions. After coming out of the meeting I could relate this situation to happenings in a political party in Delhi. Many times, what is right, what is wrong doesn’t remain any issue. The issue becomes, who is right or who is wrong. Personal things start dominating fair discussions. I had formally learnt the ‘Conflict Resolution’ techniques, during my management classes, but the solution to the trick of some people to fire personal comments, to diverge the real debate, is far from just being a management topic. When I talk of conflict resolution, I always recall the story of two fighting cats, where a cunning monkey offers mediation and slowly eats up the entire bread loaf, the cats were fighting for. Sometimes, bilateral conflict may go worse, when a mediator is involved. 

Finding a common ground for resolution is possible only by respecting each others’ personal reputation, whether it is a mohalla forum, a political party or talks between two countries. All this is easier said and written than practically facing it. But such things always need continuous reminders, so more and more people like me will keep writing. May be I learn a better lesson myself by this kind of written expression. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment