Wednesday 27 May 2015

Wholesale Market


I picked this story while I was recently talking to a lemon soda vendor. I am quite fond of the lemon soda he prepares using a very old manual soda pumping machine. It just happened that I had a little damaged currency note that day. As a courtesy, before giving him the note, I told him that it is a little damaged note. He said, “Nothing to worry Sir! I will use this currency note in the wholesale market from where I bring the supplies of lemon.” He told me that every second day he visits the wholesale market of vegetables and he brings about hundred kilograms of lemon in a sack. Till this point the plot of this story was not really built into my mind. Then he continued further. “Babu Ji! You will be surprised to know that no seller in the wholesale market ever counts the notes. They just look at the bundle once, make a visual assessment of the bundle and then they watch the buyer once again and give him the material.” He narrated the whole story with full action. His dramatic actions of how a seller watches the buyer were really amusing. He was actually telling me the process by which a seller develops a confidence on the buyer, that he must be paying him the right amount. 

The message was really loud and clear to me. No amount of counting exercise can beat the trust a single eye contact can develop between certain relationships. Some people develop a great skill of building such trust relationships with their shear experience. I do not know if this kind of skill can ever be taught in a business school. What I definitely believe is that skill of identifying people with a simple one time watching is certainly a useful skill. The wholesale market vendors are often good at it. Let us try to learn this art by selling love in wholesale. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg 

No comments:

Post a Comment