Tuesday 29 July 2014

In Search of God


As smart religions evolve, everybody is becoming more and more ignorant or confused. The problem is not with the Scriptures but with the institutions that interpreted them. Religions have contributed to increasing the general enthusiasm on God. However, I think that we are in search of an experience which hardly any one accepts.  Sri Sri Yogananda Paramahansa thought of Himalayas, he thought of sitting comfortably somewhere for a while, he thought of being with a learned, he thought of leaving his kith and kin, he thought of living on just necessaries…….

One day, Mukund (early name of Sri Sri Yogananda Paramahansa) was sitting for a meditation.  His master Swami Sri Yuktheswarji saw this and called him.

“Sir, I am meditating.” Mukunda told him.

“I know how you are meditating, with your mind distributed like leaves in storm! Come here to me.”

He ordered.  “Poor boy, mountains cannot give you what you want. Your heart’s desire shall be fulfilled.” He said. 

He struck gently on his chest above the heart. The experience that followed is described by Yoganandaji as follows.

‘My breath stopped and yet I was fully conscious. My ordinary frontal vision was changed to a vast spherical sight, simultaneously all-perceptive. Through the back of my head I saw men strolling far down Rai Ghat Lane. The roots of plants and trees appeared through a dim transparency of the soil; I discerned the inward flow of the sap. An oceanic joy broke upon the calm endless shores of my soul. I felt God as exhaustless Bliss. I saw his body as countless tissues of light. Such joy! Such bliss! Many prophetic realizations that came to me during this experience actually came to pass afterward. I could penetrate the minds of others and see what they were thinking.’

If the final experience is so inexplicable and exquisite as he has narrated here, what do our so called ‘searches’ mean? 

Joseph Mattappally

No comments:

Post a Comment