Tuesday 15 July 2014

Wanted It, Got It

I have always believed firmly that whatever you want from your life, you will surely get it. I have many books in my library shelve that are written by great thinkers that narrate many anecdotes and incidences from real people’s lives to prove the same point.

Today I just sat down to think about at what age of my life I started strongly believing in this concept of “Want It, Get It”. I could remember this episode of my life when I was in class 4th. I used to study in a decent Montessori school of a city called Rampur in Uttar Pradesh. It was the day of the result announcement, few days after our annual examinations. We all were excited to know the result. I achieved 2nd rank in the previous class and I had a deep desire to get the 1st rank this time. Our school had a tradition of distributing the annual schools events and academic prizes right on the result announcement day. We all children were sitting on the floor. In front of us we could see the prizes kept on a table covered with a shining white cloth. Most prizes were packed. They could have been books or other novelties. One thing that was attracting the attention of all the students was an unpacked item that was especially big sized and it used to look like a colourful trophy. Anyway, all biggies and the chief guest arrived and the regular speech etc. started. Most of us were still staring towards that single colourful and big sized item with increasing desire. I do not remember what the guests and our principal said. Few minutes later I was just tapped by my friend, who was asking me to go the head table to collect my prize for standing 1st in class 4th. I was happy to receive my prize. But something was pinching me from inside, as what I got was just a small packed item. I felt that my desire to get the big one was just a day dream. My desire was so high, that after getting a small pack, I almost broke down and came out of the school. My grandfather was waiting for me to accompany me back to my home. Suddenly many students came running to me, shouting my name. I was being called again to the prize distribution hall. My name was being announced for best overall performance in the primary section. What was being handed over to me was the same large item that everyone in that hall was eyeing on. It was actually a fancy table lamp that looked like a trophy. This time I came out of my school with extra joy. I remember my grandfather saying that he should have brought a full rickshaw to take the prizes back to home.

One can definitely discuss that when two hundred children in the hall also desired the same thing at the same time, then how come desires and wants of just one person is getting converted to reality. I have also faced many situations when my desires were not fulfilled. But! Somehow when I sit back and analyse all the moments when they got fulfilled, the trueness of my desires were definitely much stronger and the desires were definitely based on some real hard work. So the definite corollary to the above theory is “Work for It”. So let me complete the full theorem is “Work for It, Want It and Get It”. This is how theories become theorems. This may sound little different from our traditional wisdom of Bhagvad Gita, which says, “Work for It, Forget Result of It”, but I consider both concepts as proponents of importance of Work, whether we relate it to desires or we preach people to get rid of desires. So folks! Let us keep working.

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment