Friday 24 July 2015

The Photograph Has Changed


I belong to a town in district Muzaffarnagar of U.P. After initial education in my hometown, I studied there for five years before going to Roorkee University for my Engineering degree. Fortunately I have kept myself in touch with all these places and frequently visit them. As a result I have a good number of friends and well-wishers at all these places. 

As is its nature, life has seen lot of changes during this period. Perhaps it has been more so in my case. After passing Engineering, I did not stay in that profession for long and shifted to Indian Administration Service. In this service also I was assigned U.P. Cadre which provided me opportunity to visit my home town and the district frequently. I also developed interest in the spiritual aspect of life and its relevance to day to day life. This made me to think deeper and I started interpreting day to day event from spiritual viewpoint. Soon these thoughts took the shape of books which draw attention of many. This also became helpful in adding my friends and well-wishers. 

One such addition is in the form of a group at Muzaffarnagar consisting mostly of local doctors. All of them are not only successful in the career but are also blessed with the quest of seeking truth. This common interest brought us together and whenever occasion comes we meet to share our views. It is always an elevating experience and greatly helps me in contemplation. 

During one of such interaction a very interesting observation was made by one of the participant. Two of my books had different photograph at the back cover. There was a gap of about eight years between them and naturally they appeared different. Noticing this difference, he made a very natural saying "Your photograph has changed." Somehow this phrase drew my deeper attention and we shifted our discussion to this interesting aspect of life. 

We all know that out photograph is only a sketch of our outer personality and that too of only the body. The body keeps changing every moment but the change is so slow that we hardly notice it. Only over a period of time, these changes of body are noticed and a day comes when it totally vanishes. However, all through this period from birth to death, there is something which is permanent and does not change. That is why we always address ourselves as 'I". Most of us waste our time and energy only on the vanishing part of our existence that is the body. Only fortunate few pay attention to the permanent part which is beyond bodily existence. Once our quest is directed to this aspect of the personality, all conflicts which belong only to the body start disappearing and we reach the state of bliss in increasing manner. Greater is the quest and effort, greater will be the achievement in this direction. We then rise above the changes of the body which in any case has to undergo this process. If so, why not to spend our energy on the development of our inner personality which gets refined with time, contrary to the outer personality which diminishes with time despite all our efforts. This is what is known as spiritual search or the process of self-realisation. Once on this path, photograph changes cease to be the cause of worry and we make best use of our energy both physical as well as spiritual. 

Rakesh Mittal IAS

No comments:

Post a Comment