Monday 13 July 2015

Thou Shall Not Worry!


The simple meaning of worry is: give way to anxiety or unease, allowing one's mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles. Nobody wants worry for a choice; but worry generated stress is going to be the most disastrous killer of the upcoming generation by 2020, according to UN Surveys. Worry refers to emotions of a negative nature. Why there is so much of worry everywhere. As far as I have understood it, the reason is a disposition in our understandings. We are always in fear; fear of death, fear of losses, fear of failure, fear of punishment…., the list is quite long. Just one bullet is enough to finish one; doesn’t matter if it is white or black. The only way out is being satisfied with what we have or being in peace wherever we are. That is, having peace inside and outside every time. This is what Indian sages used to wish, ‘loka samastha, sukhino bhavanthu (let there be peace to every thing that exists in this world’). 

How shall we know that somebody is in trouble? It’s easy; listen to what he prays. Every version of the Bible continues without manipulation on St. Matthew 6:8. It says, “So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask them.” However, it is interesting to note that it is Christians who howl with demands the most. This verse also says that there is not a reason for worry. Everything we need is well provided. Are we confusing needs with wants? I don’t know.

I experienced the power of Providence, once I envisioned myself to be the only entity in this Universe. I was the first to be created. When I looked around, there was nothing for an experience, neither matter nor time or experience of any kind. I even did not have anything to identify myself by name or quality. Slowly, things began to appear around me, one by one; first came out the Universe, then light and glamour for pleasure. God continued creation; He made this globe called earth, filled it with life and greenery, created lives of my kind and many kinds. My kind grew; He built cities, caused epics and classics, set rules and traditions. The more He felt for something, He kept on creating and now I find myself surrounded with everything I need. The moment we realize this Divine Providence, we stop all our gimmicks called ‘prayers’ and start living graciously in gratitude to what Providence has arranged. Where God stopped, worry began. Worry told everyone not to be content with being himself or herself. And there began suicides.

Joseph Mattappally 

No comments:

Post a Comment