Wednesday 16 December 2015

Useless Religious Leaders


Those who might have started reading this article with expectation of some controversial opinions may not get any masala in this post. My objective is not at all to raise any controversy. I am just sharing few personal experiences that I had during past few days while knowing about the acts of some self labeled religious leaders. Interestingly most religious leaders are actually self labeled or labeled by an organization, which in turn claims to be a contractor of a particular religion. Even when we say that something is running from so many years, so there must be some substance in it, we mostly say it out of our own convenience of not being able to make efforts to find any substance.

I recently saw a young child reading news about Chennai flood and visits of some politicians in that area. He curiously asked me, uncle! I have seen large crowds hearing to discourse by many religious people on television. If they appeal to send donation to their followers, will they not listen? They can also appeal to save environment. They can also appeal to save electricity. They can also appeal for being tolerant. I actually had no answer to this child. The fact is that some stories of work done by some of these organisations can be heard, but the desired thrust is quite missing. Surprisingly enough, everybody fears to speak against religious leaders and not against political leaders. We are taught from day one that speaking against religion is banned as it can hurt the sentiments. The matters of faith can never be debated. Even more interestingly the maximum debate actually occurs on the matters of faith only. When I see television debates, talk to various people who claim to be opinion builders, I find everyone bashing the politicians. With an innocent question by that child I am forced to think, if the contribution of religious leaders of our times should also be scrutinized. I am also talking of people who are brands by themselves. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment