Wednesday 23 March 2016

Mentor Analysis


I was just watching a religious preacher talking in front of a crowd of thousands of people sitting on the ground. The topic was "respect for a Guru or Mentor". The speaker, who was a self labeled Guru was continuously quoting examples of why a Guru should be followed blindly. The explanation had content like why a Guru should be seated on a stage and followers on the ground; Why followers should be believing every word of a Guru. Why following a guru is following the God. Why only he is the only way to connect to God. Frankly, I was not surprised with the mannerism with which this gentleman was talking. I had seen many like him earlier too. Somehow a huge following is also available for such preachers.

Now, on another day, I was taking a special class of a student who had come to me to clear certain doubts, what he could not understand in his school. After I clarified few doubts, the student said, "I am surprised, that why my school teacher doesn't teach me this way". He had shown a feeling of dis-respect for his current school teacher. I was alarmed with this kind of comparison. I said, "Please don't raise doubts regarding your mentors, it doesn't help you learn. Let us just focus on learning and not on analyzing mentors." I was surprised with myself, when my tone of explanation was almost similar to the story of self-labeled Guru I narrated earlier. That's how we all are. We have two kinds of personality analysis systems working within us. One tool is for others and one is for us.

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg.

No comments:

Post a Comment