Tuesday 15 March 2016

Nothing Left to Discover


His mother wanted him to continue with the science stream. He was actually an extremely bright boy. He was in his early teens. The age was just right to make the decision every young child needs to take to shape his future years. The child was brought to me for counseling. The child wanted to go for commerce stream now. He had mentally equated commerce to lots of money. Few days' back he was gifted an expensive mobile phone for bringing very good marks in his final examinations. The mobile phone was already damaged and the new one was refused by his parents. He was in a fix. He wanted to have his own money so that he can fulfill each one of his desires in a split second. This seems to be the reason he wanted to switch his career path. I asked this child, you are so good at science, so why do you want to change your stream. His answer was really interesting. Yes you guessed it right, that is what the title of this article is, "There is nothing left to be discovered now, so I won't become famous like the scientists I read about. So! It is better to go for a line where I can make more money".
 
I now had the big challenge to tell this young intelligent brain, that what more this world is still trying to find. I asked the boy's mother and the boy to give me a days' time to find the right answer. Obviously I wanted to find from the internet, what more this world is still searching, so that I can convince a curious child with full conviction. I found things like dark matter and dark energy, things like digital aroma and digital taste. Time machine has been most awaited invention since ages. So much so, largest value of pi, largest prime number are still a great challenge for mathematics enthusiasts. Holographic televisions, Perfect Humanoid Robos, Flying Cars are still a matter of science fiction. Finally I could draw a list of many things a young science oriented brain can strive to form a challenging career in. Next day, when the mother child duo returned, the child said, "Sorry Uncle! I was wrong, when I said that nothing is left to be discovered. I am sure that I will find the area of my interest too." The child also brought a list of things this world is still trying to find or invent. His list was much more exhaustive than my list. We did share our lists, our own little discoveries in a way. I do not why, but his mother was still thanking me a lot for guiding her child. I actually did nothing. Somehow, my efforts to find the answer to his question telepathically matched the efforts of this young boy and he himself found the answer. This is the way life goes on. 

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg.

No comments:

Post a Comment