Tuesday 11 November 2014

The Last Post


Last month, in the city of Kozhikode (formerly Calicut), a hotel was attacked by a group of young gentlemen claiming allegiance to a known political party in India. They attacked the hotel alleging that it is a hub for young lovers and the hotel permits all sorts of mischiefs that hurt the State’s culture and proud tradition. However, the motive behind the attack is still under dispute. This incident would have been forgotten unless there was an announcement by a group of youngsters from Kochi (Ernakulam) which stated that they are organizing a public kiss event on Nov. 2nd.   The event organizers said that it is the right of an individual to express love in its’ purest form. On the proposed day morning itself, the said marine drive was filled with people who had assembled there to witness this typical event. Groups of people marched around the location shouting for and against the move, all inviting police interference. The mess ended up with a police cane charge and arrest of some event participants and protestors alike.

Have we got the right to kiss in public? The decision I leave it to you. Instead, I go to a live experience that wet my eyes without notice, some ten years back. I was attending the funeral of a man I knew. He was around fifty and was doing business at a place a day away from his home.  He met with an accident and died on the spot. His body lay in a well decorated box and all his family had gathered around.  Among the public who had come there, I noticed a familiar face but could not guess any possible connection to either this man or anybody in that family. He was a former classmate of mine; I walked towards him and greeted him with a smile. I asked him why he is here. He told me that presently he is living in the same place where this diseased person was doing business. We could not continue conversing for long. It was time for the functions. I attended the funeral prayers at home, followed the coffin to the Church and further to the cemetery. 

Just before the body was taken to the tomb, I met this person again at a comfortable place in the cemetery. I moved to him intending to refresh our past memories in its’ full length. In a whispering voice he asked me if I know that lady who has been standing behind the gathering. I noticed her, a lady in her forties; however, the face was totally unfamiliar. I found that she is cleaning her face with a kerchief. Her eyes were red and cheeks were wet. It was clear that she was quite dear to the diseased. My friend, turned to me and said, “She is his second wife. This man was living there with this lady and their two children. Everybody there knew that this person had a family at home also.” This information was unknown to most in his home place. Until everything was over and all left the scene, I was there watching the lady whom, I’m sure was not identified by the relatives of the diseased gentleman. She was the last to leave the cemetery. My eyes too got wet. She could not give her partner a last kiss. I assured myself that there is a fundamental error in our rich heritage. Is this a nation in which citizens are not allowed to express their true aspirations?

Joseph Mattappally

No comments:

Post a Comment