Monday 24 November 2014

The Prodigal Son, Out Again!


The parable of the prodigal son is a famous story from the Bible. Bible is not the only Holy Scripture that the world has. Every holy book contains similar moral stories in plenty. But, most us think that there are only limited explanations for each story, just only what we frequently hear. The parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) is a solid example. Recently, I happened to read another version of it, as told by Matthew Boudway (USA). I terribly feel that there is stage at which a genuine aspirant has to shed off all parables and examples he has heard, seen or experienced, because they easily become knowledge. May be this is one reason why every spiritual master asks all seekers to vacate their brains before they set off. Parables and moral stories might become stumbling blocks, if mixed with a little rational mind. 

This parable was told by Jesus. According to the story, a man had two sons. The younger son demanded his share and having got it, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.  At last he had to work in the fields feeding pigs.  He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. When he came to his senses, he returned to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.  “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate.  For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

Meanwhile, the older son who was in the field became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, “Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!” “My son,” the father said, “you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.”

Matthew Boudway does not question the attitude of Jesus who wanted to expose a God (father) who is infinite and unconditional love. But he asks if what the father in the story gave was a fair reply. According to him the story should have ended, with an excuse from his father more or less like this: “My son, you have a point. I hadn’t considered your position. You’ve been loyal and steadfast. You've always done your duty. And no one can deny you lead an exemplary and objectively well-ordered life.” Further, the father should have told his younger son, “Listen, It’s true I’ve missed you, and seeing you again after such a long absence got me worked up. I’d like to help you out, I really would, but my hands are tied. It would be unjust, unmerciful even, for me to pretend that your current situation isn’t a complete contradiction of everything I tried to teach you. And what would the neighbors think? They might imagine I approve of prostitution and improvidence. Even your brother might get the wrong idea. No, I can't afford a misunderstanding like that. It would ruin everything. Why don't you come back after you’ve recovered the money you wasted? Then we’ll talk. Until then, your brother and I wish you luck. We’ll be with you in spirit.”  

Joseph Mattappally

No comments:

Post a Comment