Tuesday 23 December 2014

Kite in the Office


Some people do have strong belief in symbols. I had visited this office few years ago where a Kite was placed just outside the wall of the corporate office. It was a real kite. When I enquired about the reason, my friend in that office told me that his Managing director always believes in symbols and this time the symbol of company’s growth has been chosen as the kite. The vision is, the way the kite soars high up in the sky, the company’s financial results too will. This was quite interesting for me, as I knew that my friend’s company was actually not doing well. Few days later, I came to know that the company closed down. When I met my friend again, he used the same symbol to explain that the company’s kite was cut by the competitors and the market situation. He also told me that people in the company had used many other frills to save the company, but nothing succeeded.

I and my friend both had a lesson to learn. Symbols can motivate, but they cannot replace the actions required to get the work going. I know many people around me who strongly believe in symbols, but the success came to only those who really did hard work on the ground. Let us introspect, are we too obsessed with symbols.

Dr. Sunil Ji Garg

No comments:

Post a Comment